Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Inspired



 
As you know, I watch a lot of television. Less now that we have Tallon, which means that the shows I do watch must be meaningful or at least funny...okay, but I'll still make room for Project Runway and a few MTV shows.

A few weeks ago, I was watching katie Couric's new daytime show. Side note, Katie is a terrible host, but she has landed some pretty good guest spots.  Her guest that day was Brene Brown, a doctor who has been studying happiness, vulnerability and pretty much all human emotions. Let me just say, this woman exposed my soul. Every word coming out of her mouth was a confirmation of what I had been feeling for pretty much my entire life. Guilt for being content, anxiety for the future and being scared of allowing happiness in fear of impending sorrow. Pretty much ruining your happiness by preparing for an unknown, possibly terrible, but possible awesome future. Crazy. I had a ton of favorite quotes during her segment, but I have compiled a few of my favorite.

“The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it. It's our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.” 

“Shame works like the zoom lens on a camera. When we are feeling shame, the camera is zoomed in tight and all we see is our flawed selves, alone and struggling."

“We cannot selectively numb emotions, when we numb the painful emotions, we also numb the positive emotions.”

“Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites.” 

Come on, good stuff right?

No comments:

Post a Comment