Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tunes Tuesday


I noticed last week that my tunes Tuesday was predominately female, which led me to think, hey I should do an all women Tunes Tuesday! The following tracks make me proud to be a female, most importantly because let’s face it; it’s a man’s world. But see if old man Bob Dylan can belt these songs out and give them justice as the following ladies do! Shoot, one of them is even a cover of a rap song.
1.       The Greatest by Cat Power

I’m disappointed that it took me so long to discover the amazing Cat Powers.  The Greatest was the first song that I heard of hers and wow. Such pain, frustration and vulnerability in this song are overwhelming to me. You’ll love it. I swear.
2.       Little Bit by Lykke Li
 
You may get a cavity after listening Lykke Li’s sweet-as-syrup confession of liking someone just little bit (see what I did?). Her playful lyrics and squeaky clean voice make me love her more than just a little bit. (I did it again!)

3.       Whatever you Like by Anya Marina

It doesn’t get much better than a pale white girl covering a rap song. Anya’s version of Whatever You Like may turn your cheeks as red as blood as she playfully sings of sex, drugs and rock an-errr, I mean, money (and roll?).

4.       Scorn by Portishead

 
I first heard this song from the soundtrack of The Craft. You remember, when Sarah is running through the woods from spell stricken Chris! I’ve only recently re-listened to the song on Pandora and realized how much I really love this song.

5.       Video Games by Lana Del Rey

Okay, before ya’ll knock Lana Del Rey, I urge everyone to listen to Video Games. Yes, her SNL performance was horrendous, but let’s move on people! It’s unfortunate that this single performance was the determining factor in her popularity. Video Games is a love song that I will continue to play for many years to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment